Mauna Kea Sunset & Stargazing
Watch a breathtaking sunset from the summit of Mauna Kea nearly 14,000 ft above the Pacific Ocean. Explore the amazing star-filled night sky from where ancient Hawaiians believed the earth meets the universe.
$265.00 + tax & fees
Truly Stunning Sunset
Mauna Kea offers a breathtaking view that is hard to match. Located in the center of Hawai’i Island, Mauna Kea has an unobstructed view of the horizon and the sky. This view, coupled with its famously clear skies and dry crisp air, creates the perfect condition for truly stunning sunsets.
The Best Stargazing Experience
After sunset, it’s time to explore the star-filled night sky from one of the best stargazing spots in the world. Our guide will show stars and constellations using a green laser and a computerized telescope.
|Price||$245 (plus tax & fees)|
|Availability||Daily (weather permitting)|
|Maximum Occupancy Per Vehicle||12***|
|Departure Time||Early afternoon|
(time varies with season)
|Returning Time||Late night|
(time varies with season)
|Tour Duration||7-8 hours|
|Time Spent at the Summit||Approx. 1hr during sunset|
|Stargazing||Approx. 1hr guided with a computerized telescope|
|Gear Provided||Heavy-duty hooded parka|
|Food Provided||Light snacks and hot chocolate|
|Vehicle||4×4 passenger van|
*Children 12 or younger are not allowed on our tours due to the high altitude. Seniors 85 or older may only participate in our Private Charter Tours for our guides to be more attentive to their health during the tour.
**If the number of participants does not reach 3 by 24 hours before the tour departs, the tour will be canceled. Customers who have already applied will have the option to pay the difference to avoid cancellation.
***Maximum occupancy per vehicle is subject to change due to the Covid-19 regulations by the State of Hawaii and the County of Hawaii.
What to Bring
- Warm clothes such as long pants, sweater/hoodie, warm socks, and closed-toe shoes are must-haves. (A heavy-duty hooded parka will be provided)
- We strongly encourage you to bring your own water. Drinking water will reduce the risk of altitude sickness and prevent dehydration in the dry climate of the summit area.
- This tour does not include meals. Please have a large lunch before joining the tour. We do not recommend having a big meal during the long break at the Visitor Center because eating heavily just before ascending to a high altitude on a rough road may make you feel sick. Instead, we provide light snacks and you are welcome to bring your own.
You may get hungry after the tour, therefore we recommend preparing something for when you get back to your accommodations. There are a few 24-hour stores in Kona in case you weren’t able to prepare beforehand. Please ask your guide for more information.
- Alcohol beverage is not allowed during the tour.
- Please do not bring in large luggage such as suitcases.
- $6 commercial tour passenger fee for the Office of Mauna Kea Management is included in the tour price.
- Gratuity is not included in the tour price but tips are much appreciated by your guide.
Learn more about our Mauna Kea Tours.